FRUIT CREAM PIE CRUST
- 4 1/2 c flour
- 1 1/2 c crisco
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 15-16 tbsp iced water
- Sift flour and measure; add salt and sift again.
- Using pastry blender or 2 knives, thoroughly cut in half of shortening, or until mixture resembles corn meal.
- Cut in remaining shortening coarsely or until particles are about size of peas.
- Sprinkle water, 1 tbsp at a time, over small portions of the mixture
- With a fork, press the flour particles together as they absorb the water. Do not stir.
- Toss aside pieces of dough as formed and sprinkle remaining water over dry portions; use only enough water to hold the pastry together. It should not be wet or slippery. Remember, sprinkle flour on board while rolling dough.
- Use 10-in pie plate. Press all together lightly with fingers; or wet dough in wax paper and press together gently. Remember, the less the dough is handled the more tender and flaky the pastry will be.
- Chill dough.
- Bake at 450 deg F for 10 mins or until brown.
FRUIT CREAM PIE FILLING
- 2/3 c sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (or 5 tbsp flour)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2.5 c milk
- 3 pcs egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can fruit cocktail (Cook and add vanilla. Pour into baked shell. Arrange.)
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, (or flour) and salt in the top of a double broiler; stir in cold milk.
- Cook over broiling water until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Cover and cook 15 mins longer.
- Stir a little of the hot mixture into slightly beaten egg yolk. Add to remaining mixture in double boiler, and cook for 2 mins over hot, not boiling water, stirring constantly.
- Cool and add vanilla.
- Pour into baked shell.
- Arrange sliced bananas, peaches or any slightly sweetened berries in pastry shell before adding cream filling; or place fruit on top of filling.
- Maybe topped with whipped cream if desired.
- Pile strips of leftover pastry (pie crust) in layers; roll out 1/8 inch thick
- Sprinkle generously with grated cheese and paprika.
- Fold in half and roll again.
- Repeat the sprinkling, folding, and rolling process 2 or 3 times.
- Cut in strips 3 to 4 inches long, and ½ in wide.
- Place on greased baking sheet and chill.
- Bake in hot oven at 425 deg F for 6-8 mins.
- Serve hot.