- 3 1/2 c cake flour
- 3/4 c butter
- 5 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 c caramel syrup with 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 c water
- 1 1/4 c sugar
- 5 pcs eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cream butter, adding 3/4 cup of sugar and egg yolks alternately; beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Fold in dry ingredients and syrup alternately with milk
- Beat egg whites until fluffy; add remaining sugar gradually. Continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Fold beaten egg whites to egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into greased pans (two 9-in layer pans).
- Bake in a moderate oven at 350 deg F for 30-35 mins.
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 3/4 c boiling water
- Melt sugar.
- As soon as sugar is light brown, add 3/4 cup of water to dissolve caramelized sugar and form syrup
FROSTING Ingredient and Instructions:
- Cook rest of caramel syrup with 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/3 cup of flour, 1 1/2 cup of milk, stirring constantly until rather thick.
- Add 2 slightly beaten egg yolks, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 2 tbsp butter off the stove; continue stirring until thick as jelly.