FOUR-EGG LAYER CAKE
- 3 c cake flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 c vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 4 pcs eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla (or rum or almond)
- 1 c milk
- Sift flour; measure, add baking powder and salt; sift again.
- Cream shortening; add sugar gradually; cream together until light and fluffy. (NOTE: When using butter, margarine or bland lard, decrease sugar to 1.5 cups and milk to ¾ cup.
- Add unbeaten eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition; add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk, stirring only enough after each addition to blend thoroughly. Do not beat.
- Pour into 3 greased 8-inch layer pans.
- Bake in moderate oven at 375 deg F for about 25 mins.
- 2 c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp hot water or milk
- 1 tsp vanilla (or almond or rum flavoring)
- To confectioners’ sugar, add hot water or milk gradually, until frosting has good spreading consistency.
- Add flavoring
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Ingredients (enough frosting for tops and sides of two 8-inch layers; or tops of two 9-in layers; or 18 cupcakes):
- 3 oz cream cheese (approx 1/3 cup)
- 4 tbsp fruit juice or cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2.5 c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Soften cream cheese with fruit juice or cream. Add salt.
- Gradually add enough confectioners’ sugar to give good spreading consistency; beat until creamy.